Today one of my online junior friend requested me to install and configure SHOUTcast for him. Though I had no previous experience on it, I became interested to take the challenge. Before starting, I dug internet a bit and found a helpful tutorial. I started the work and found it is very easy. It took not more than 30 minutes to complete the study & setup.
Here is the steps I followed in shell:
# wget http://www.shoutcast.com/downloads/sc1-9-2/shoutcast-1-9-2-linux-glibc6.tar.gz
# tar zxfv shoutcast-1-9-2-linux-glibc6.tar.gz
# vi sc_serv.conf
now we have opened the shoutcast configuration file. we need to adjust the settings. I have done a few settings only. you may set other things (by uncommenting). The essential things were:
Password will be needed when you want to broadcast. Admin password will be required to access the administration panel.
Now save the changes (:x). Our configuration is completed. Now start the server.
# ./sc_serv sc_serv.conf
You should see messages on the screen. Now your SHOUTcast server is ready for broadcasting. You have to start broadcasting using Winamp. You need an additional plugin for Winamp for the same. Download the SHOUTcast DSP Plugin from here.
- Download Winamp by going to the Winamp site.
- Download the SHOUTcast Radio DSP plug-in for Winamp. The DSP plug-in is available here.
- Once you have downloaded the SHOUTcast Radio DSP plug-in, close Winamp if its already running and double-click the installer file that you downloaded in step 2 above, and follow the onscreen instructions to install.
- Start Winamp and open Preferences (CTRL-P) and click on the DSP/effects subcategory under the Plug-ins tree. See below for example:
- Once you have the SHOUTcast Radio DSP plug-in setup and properly configured, it will broadcast whatever is currently playing on Winamp on your internet radio station in real time!Please refer to the README that comes with the DSP installer for more instructions on how to use the SHOUTcast Radio DSP, including how you can chose whether to make your station public (i.e., list on the SHOUTcast Radio directory).
You are done. Now visit your site. Address should be like http://66.71.x.x:8000/. Click the Listen link and it will open with your winamp player. You will then listen what is broadcasting.
Hope it helps!