Well, I came to this book when I was looking for a Project Management Tool inside Joomla. It is because, I am working on a project where clients handles several persons (developers, researchers etc.) and he wants to manage the tasks himself that he assigned to others. Being familiar with Joomla, it is comfortable for him to get something inside Joomla.
While searching for an easy manual for him, I somehow found this book. When I got this book, I found exactly what I wanted in its 7th Chapter where it discussed about ProjectFork. I found that it is clearly and easily described how to configure & us Projectfork. Moreover, sufficient number of images/screenshots have been included on every sections. Sometimes images talk much than texts.
Now I can recommend the same book to Project Owner so that he can take help from it too. I am sure, it will be quite easy for him to use ProjectFork following this book.
I have read few other chapters (for example: chapter about Docman as it will also be needed in this project) and I am amazed to see its lucid descriptions. In every section, there are sufficient screenshots that will greatly help the newbies, the book is mainly intended to. Overall it contains more than 80 recipes of doing something with Joomla. The interesting part is that, you don’t need any programming skills for following these. Little familiarity with Joomla will be sufficient to follow the guidelines. However, the numerous screenshots are included which will make the reading comfortable.
The reader of this book will learn the following things (copied from original site):
- Implement access control list by creating groups and assigning permissions to groups
- Create backups that can be restored on any other Joomla! site and relocate a site to another server without any hassle.
- Add an Ajax contact form with custom fields using AiContactSafe extension and add Ajax search to Joomla! site using PixSearch extension.
- Import hundreds of users from a CSV file enabling them to log in without registering themselves using UserPort extension
- Integrate phpBB with Joomla! so that users from phpBB can access Joomla! and vice versa without further registration and by a single login using JFusion extension
- Send tweets automatically upon publishing articles in Joomla!
- Add project management functionalities to your Joomla!-based sites and get notified about new contents from time to time (for subscribers)
- Add attachment to an article in a much easier way using Attachment plugin
- Build a document repository for Joomla! using DOCMan extension for sharing files through your site or if you want to provide downloads
- Add a Google Map in content articles to find your place.using Google Maps plugin
- Display PDF documents inside Joomla! content items using Embed PDF plugin
- Watch your visitors in real-time using JoomlaWatch extension
- Improve banner ads on your site and add classified ads to Joomla! Site
- Use Google Adsense with Joomla! contents
- Preview the page on which you just altered the contents instead of preview button taking you to home page by default
So, if you are trying to do something like mentioned above and want to know ‘how to’ this book may be a worthy purchase for you. It will save you finding right extensions for your purposes and then test each one after another. Following this book, you are just download and go. However, if you have lots of times to test each extension and discover ‘how to’ of each extension, this book may not be for you ;).
Please find more information on official page for Joomla 1.5 Top Extension Cookbook.